Everyone knows broccoli is healthy. It’s basically the old school poster child for “superfoods” before kale and everything else trendy came on to the scene. Vitamins, minerals, tons of fiber, yes, that’s obvious, but what else is so special about broccoli that should make you put down the kale and reach for it more often ? I recently came upon an article that addressed this. The answer is that it contains an extremely potent anticancer, and anti-neurodegenerative compound called Sulforaphane.
Paleo dining in Phuket
Thai food works really well with the Paleo and gluten free belly. Yes, rice is everything to Thai’s but I find myself enjoying meals just as much with out it while I’m here. I love love love me some authentic southern Thai eating the majority of the time, but when I saw the menu for a new fusion restaurant called Surf n Turf by Soul Kitchen which opened up last December, I knew I had to check it out immediately.
A look into a traditional Thai farmer’s market
As I mentioned in my previous post, I used to live here in Phuket Town Thailand back in 2011, for about 8 months. This was a transformative time for me because it was at that point in my life, I really started the ritual of cooking for myself on a daily basis and actually enjoying it. Read More
CHINESE HERBAL MEDICINE IN PHUKET THAILAND
Here I am, back in Phuket Thailand. Those familiar with Thailand and it’s locales probably have very strong images that come to mind when they think “Phuket”. Touristy. Mass resort-devolopments. Euro trash tourist groups. Sleazy night life. Sex workers. Endangered animals on parade. Hedonism at it’s worst. All these things are true, but make up a very small portion of this very large, very diverse island. Read More
Going Green in Bangkok!
Hey there folks! It’s been a while, and there’s been some big changes over here. I’m currently in Thailand, and will be until May. For those who don’t know me personally, I spent 2009-2011 traveling around South East Asia whilist spending the majority of my time living here, in this wonderful country. Why Thailand? Man oh man, how much time do you have?Read More
Matcha Green Tea + Peppermint Latte
Ever since I was diagnosed with chronic migraines, I’ve banished my beloved daily cup of coffee as to not trigger any horrendous episodes (caffeine is a trigger). However, I do still indulge in green tea. At about 35 mg’s of caffeine per cup, that small amount doesn’t seem to be bothersome just yet….knock on wood! What I’ve been loving lately is an almond milk matcha green tea latte as a energy boost in the late afternoon. Read More
3 Super Smoothies to the rescue!
How’s everyone’s January shaping up? If it’s not already, January should be deemed national smoothie month. It’s when everyone gets hyper-excited about a new diet and fitness regime and starts crazy, unhealthy juice cleanses to shed holiday pounds by any means necessary. I’ll admit, I too jumped on the juicing bandwagon 4 or 5 years ago when it was all the rage. BIG MISTAKE! Read More
THAT SPIRITUAL GIFT GUIDE
My final shlew of goodies are probably the most special because they take care of the mind, body and soul. I think spirituality gets confused too often with religion and being “hippie-dippie”. But I feel that these items don’t walk over into either of those realms at all, rest assured 🙂
1. A handsome Essential Oil Diffuser to set the right mood in your space. I hate the look of most at home electronics, this one is actually not an eye sore.
2. I’m a big believer in energies and ritual. Here’s a pretty little kit from the shop Species By the Thousands out in Brooklyn. Perfect for the more esoteric person in your life, to get rid of those bad vibes an ex has left around their pad, or to cleanse the old ones still lingering from strangers when moving into a new one.
3. Two of my most treasured books. The Gifts of Imperfection and 4. Journey to the Heart . The latter book of daily affirmations has gotten me through some of the toughest times in my life, mentally and spiritually. I give it to basically every girlfriend for their birthday whether they like it or not!
5. This is a nice gift set of 100% pure essential oils for that diffuser. Always important to make sure to use %100 pure essential oils only!
6. I just love this incredible Pink Himalayan Salt lamp. It sets such a nice mood for meditating and cleanses the air of impurities.
7. To be honest I don’t have any experience using this M– USE device. But Brian of www.ikeepadiary.com (the first blog I ever started reading in 2002…(if you ever read this, what up Brian!) is a meditation pro and really loves his. It maps out your brain waves, and guides you into more beneficial relaxating states. I love gadgets like these!
That’s all for now folks! In the next week I’ll try to post up some healthy holiday recipes that can work for get-togethers and accommodate many different diet restrictions.
HEALTHY COOK GIFT GUIDE
Hello people! Still time to get some online orders in for Christmas, so here’s a round up of gift ideas for the health conscious cook! Even more so than exercise I believe, health begins in the gut, and thus, the kitchen!
- Blogger turned Paleo superstar Danielle Walker’s first cookbook Against all Grain is something I turn to over and over again for ideas. Her own story of battling an autoimmune disease with food is inspiring! She has truly nailed the art of grain-free baking as well!
- Healthy gut flora is SO important and Kombucha is one of the tastiest ways to get that healthy bacteria. But Damn! Even on sale at Whole Foods you’re gonna be out about 3 dollars per bottle of that liquid gold. Brew your own with this awesome kit!
- Hallelujah! The best spiralizer around in my opinion. Be wary of cheap imitators! (I’m looking at you As Seen on TV version!)
- Probably the most important kitchen tool I have, or will ever have in my life, a Vitamix blender. I could wax poetic for days on the virtues of this incredible machine (and you better believe I will in the near future). But in the mean time here’s a quick video from the trusty Vitamix lady who’s full of knowledge and can concisely sum up it’s benefits far better than I can at the moment! Yes, it’s an investment but it will last a life time. And if your special someone is a daily green smoothie or juice purchaser from the outside world, this thing pays for it’s self in a couple of months. I bought mine from QVC because they offer really great package deals, and monthly payment options with no interest. This is certainly the gift that says “I love you, and want you around and healthy forever” !
- Ah, the Le Creuset French Oven! It’s a classic gift, and for good reason, another kitchen tool that will last a lifetime. My mother was gifted one as a wedding present by my French Aunt in the 1970’s. It was still around and in good use well into the 2000’s until she sold it at a garage sale (What?!) It goes without saying I was a bit bummed it didn’t become my hand me down! But I can’t really blame her, the last thing I was interested in when I moved to NYC in 2001, at 18 years old was cooking! The range of colors is wide and mouthwatering. You can’t beat the classic orange, but my current fav is in Caribbean Blue.
Up next, some lovely things for that spiritual person in your life!
Fitness Gift Guide
Apparently I’m trying to come right out of the gate as the most “basic bitch” blogger in history. First up was pumpkin spice shit. Now we shall continue with a unique, one of a kind post concept: the holiday gift guide! In all seriousness though, most of the things listed here are cherished items that I either own, or have given as gifts to my closest friends. I really hope that you’ll be able to get a couple ideas from this round up! I don’t have any brothers or sisters so I absolutely ADORE spoiling my friends this time of year. Gift giving is by far one of my greatest joys in life. If you have someone else who is along with you on the health & wellness bandwagon, take a look see:
- Tracy Anderson Live Video Streaming Subscription . It’s well known in my circle that I worship at the alter of the Tracy Anderson Method. I guarantee that I’ll be writing a lot about her in the future, but trust, this is the next best thing to giving the fellow TAM cult member a personal membership to one of her gyms.
- Tracy has a routine for every fitness style. From Teens to Pregnancy and everything in between you can find all her DVD’s HERE
- How sleek is this S’well Water Bottle ?
- Adorable leggings by Onzie
- Classpass For those who refuse Tracy Anderson conversion (they’re out there, I’ve tried, what’s wrong with you?)
- H-O-T top by Koral Activewear
- Amazing trainers by Stella McCartney for Adidas !
- The Cadillac of trampolines, the Bellicon . I plan on doing a lengthy post very soon on the many health benefits of rebounding, if you get yourself a good cardio routine it burns just as many calories as running and is easier on your joints making it perfect for someone with injuries. It’s also incredibly detoxifying. a fantastic gift of fitness!
Hope this is a good start! up next, ideas for in the kitchen!